General contractors, or homeowners doing their own work, must obtain permits before beginning work.
- Permits may be obtained at City Hall, 20225 Cottagewood Road in Deephaven. Payment by cash or check only.
- All inspections are done by the City of Minnetonka and that phone number will be provided with the permit.
- Planning Director Pat Smith handles all survey/plan reviews, variance requests, vegetation removal permits, and other aspects relating to zoning ordinances.
- Teresa Pendleton handles all building and demolition permits.
- Sara Skalle handles all septic permits. If you are adding a bedroom or bath, you must have your septic system inspected and reviewed for capacity.
To start the permit issuance process, you will need to submit to the City:
- A completed building permit application
- Three sets of plans, if plans are required
- Septic plans and permit application if needed (if system needs updating or you're expanding, adding a bedroom or bath)
Permit Processing during COVID-19
Roofing, electrical, heating, plumbing and sewer permits should be mailed to City Hall, with a check (calculation instructions are on the permit form). Mail to T. Pendleton, City Hall, 20225 Cottagewood Road, Deephaven, MN 55331.
If the form and check are sealed in a standard #10 envelope, it may be dropped in the silver utility dropbox located in our parking lot (NOT the blue or grey mailboxes).
Building Permits with Plans must be emailed to the City of Minnetonka first, at [email protected]. Then the application and large plans should be dropped off inside City Hall. There is a box at the top of stairs, outside the door to City offices.
We do not take permits by email as we only accept cash or checks for payment.
Inspections: As always, call the City of Minnetonka at (952) 939-8394 for inspections.
The permit will be issued after the materials required are deemed complete and the have been reviewed for code compliance. Please allow at least 2 weeks for building and septic permits to be processed.
|Building permits are required for:
||Building permits are not required for:
Building & Zoning Ordinances
All work is subject to inspection. The City of Minnetonka does all of our inspections. The number and type of inspections vary depending on the work being done. It is the owner or contractors’ responsibility to call (952) 939-8394 for an inspection when the work is ready. When you call, have ready: the site address, permit number and type of inspection needed. Please call at least 24 hours in advance to schedule an inspection and you will be scheduled with the next available opening.
Permits are based on the value of the project. If an estimate is required, call Teresa Pendleton at (952) 358-9935.
Dog licenses are not required in Woodland. However, to keep more than two dogs at one residence a permit and Council approval are required. Applications are available at City Hall. (City Ordinance 405)
There is no parking allowed on Woodland streets. Contractors and service vehicles (such as landscaping crews) must park on resident driveways, not on the street.
Street parking is only allowed by permit in established parking zones, as outlined in the Parking Permit Guidelines & Map 2019. Illegally parked cars may be subject to citation by the Deephaven Police Department.
Complete a Temporary Parking Permit Application if on-street parking is necessary for an event or construction project. Please note that the public lot behind (west of) 18300 Minnetonka Blvd. is available for event parking and shuttling guests.
Vehicle Weight Limits
9 tons/axle is the maximum load allowed on all Woodland Roads.
March 1 - April 30: 4 tons/axle is the maximum load allowed.
Load Limit Waiver Permit allows an additional 2 tons/axle for $500 per vehicle per trip if granted.