General contractors, or homeowners doing their own work, must obtain permits before beginning work.
- Permits may be obtained at City Hall, 20225 Cottagewood Road in Deephaven. Payment by cash or check only.
- All inspections are done by the City of Minnetonka and that phone number will be provided with the permit.
- Planning Director Pat Smith handles all survey/plan reviews, variance requests, vegetation removal permits, and other aspects relating to zoning ordinances.
- Diane Schwalbe handles all building and demolition permits.
- Sara Skalle handles all septic permits. If you are adding bedroom, bath, or any new water source in your home, you must have a compliance inspection of your septic system before applying for a building permit.
Permits for new homes or additions, require these steps:
- Contractor delivers to Deephaven City Hall: completed building permit application, with required attachments, and one hard-copy of the building plan.
- Once the City Planning Director reviews/approves the plan, the City of Minnetonka (who does all inspections) contacts the contractor and provides a link for uploading plans.
- Contractor uploads plans to Minnetonka.
- Once Minnetonka approves the plans, Deephaven staff calls the contractor with the permit fee amount.
- Contractor comes to Deephaven City Hall to pay for the permit.
- Staff alerts Minnetonka that the permit has been paid.
- Minnetonka lets the contractor know when approved, annotated plans are ready to be downloaded.
- Contractor downloads plans, prints permit card and may begin work.
Please allow at least 2 weeks for building and septic permits to be processed.
Permits for Electrical, Heating, or Plumbing projects are issued at Deephaven City Hall. Forms may be completed ahead of time or at the counter. Payment is by cash or check only.
Applications for zoning-related permits (and fees) are due by the third Tuesday of the month. It will be reviewed at the next month's City Council meeting. Please print, complete and deliver the completed application form to Pat Smith or mail to Deephaven City Hall, 20225 Cottagewood Road, Deephaven, MN 55331. Call 952-358-9938 with questions.
Building & Zoning Ordinances
Permit Application Forms
Septic Permit Application Allow a 2-week turnaround. Must be completed BEFORE a building permit can be issued.
Building Permit with Submittal Requirements Allow a 2-week turnaround.
Construction Management Agreement Required with new house construction and additions.
All work is subject to inspection. The City of Minnetonka does all of our inspections. The number and type of inspections vary depending on the work being done. It is the owner or contractors’ responsibility to call (952) 939-8394 for an inspection when the work is ready. When you call, have ready: the site address, permit number and type of inspection needed. Please call at least 24 hours in advance to schedule an inspection and you will be scheduled with the next available opening.
Permits are based on the value of the project. If an estimate is required, call Teresa Pendleton at (952) 358-9935.
Dog licenses are not required in Woodland. However, to keep more than two dogs at one residence a permit and Council approval are required. Applications are available at City Hall. (City Ordinance 405)
There is no parking allowed on Woodland streets. Contractors and service vehicles (such as landscaping crews) must park on resident driveways, not on the street. Illegally parked cars may be subject to citation by the Deephaven Police Department.
Street parking is only allowed by permit in established parking zones, as outlined in the Parking Permit Guidelines & Map 2019.
Complete a Temporary Parking Permit Application if on-street parking is necessary for an event or construction project. Please note that the public lot behind (west of) 18300 Minnetonka Blvd. is available for event parking and shuttling guests.
Vehicle Weight Limits
9 tons/axle is the maximum load allowed on all Woodland Roads.
March 1 - April 30: 4 tons/axle is the maximum load allowed.
Load Limit Waiver Permit allows an additional 2 tons/axle for $500 per vehicle per trip if granted:
APPLICATION TO WAIVE SEASONAL LOAD LIMIT