Forms & Permits

Application for Tree Contractors

Tree Contractors - Please renew your license each year: 2019 Tree Service License Application

Tree Service Companies

All of these companies have a 2019 license to work within the City of Woodland. City ordinances require any cutting or trimming within Woodland be done by a licensed contractor. Please refer to City ordinances and policies with regard to changing vegetation within the City of Woodland.

1-800-CUT-TREE LawnPros Lawn Care LLC SavATree LLC
Bartlett Tree Experts Meridian Tree Inc. Shadywood Tree Experts & Landscaping
Davey Tree Expert Company Ostvig Tree Inc. Shorewood Tree Service LLC
Elijah's Treecare LLC Rainbow Treecare Twin City Tree Authority
Emery's Tree Service Inc. Ryan's Tree Care LLC Viking Land Tree Care
Jay's Tree Care & Firewood Sam's Lawn Care Inc.  Vineland Tree Care

Dog License

Dog licenses are not required in Woodland.  However, a permit and Council approval are required to keep more than two dogs at one residence.
Applications are available at City Hall.  These permits must be renewed annually.  (City Ordinance 405)

Building Permits

General contractors or homeowners doing their own work must obtain permits before beginning work. NOTE: Before proceeding, property owners should first contact the City's Zoning Coordinator, Dale Cooney at (952) 358-9938 or [email protected]

  • For work in the City of Woodland, pull all permits at the City Hall (Woodland, Deephaven, and Greenwood - all share the same City Hall).
  • Woodland contracts with the City of Minnetonka Inspections Department for all inspections.

To start the permit issuance process, you will need to submit to the City:

  • A completed building permit application
  • Three sets of plans, if plans are required

The permit will be issued after the materials required for permit submittal are deemed complete and the plans have been reviewed for code compliance.

Building Permits are required for many projects, including, but not limited to:

  • new construction, additions, & alterations
  • decks
  • finished basements
  • pools
  • demolition
  • roofing & siding
  • window replacement (requiring structural alterations)
Work that is exempt from a permit includes:

  • painting
  • wallpapering
  • flooring
  • kitchen cabinets
  • minor repairs
  • detached storage buildings not exceeding 120 square fee


Does the City inspect the work?

All work is subject to inspection by the city. The number and type of inspections vary depending on the work being done. When the permit is issued, you will receive an inspection record sheet that lists the types of inspection that you will need. It is the owner or contractors’ responsibility to call for an inspection when the work is ready. When you call, please have ready the work site address, the permit number and what kind of inspection you need. The inspections division makes every effort to accommodate requests for specific inspection times, if necessary. Please call 24 hours in advance to schedule an inspection and you will be scheduled with the next available opening.

How much does a building permit cost?

Permit fee have a number of different components. First is the building permit fee. Building permit fees are derived from a sliding scale based on project valuation. Plan review fees are another component. They are charged in addition to the building permit fee for projects other than roofing, siding, window replacement and other minor repairs. The plan review fee is based on 65% of the building permit fee. A third component to the total cost of a building permit is the state surcharge. This is collected at a rate of $.50 per $1,000.

Licenses & Registrations

The following forms are REQUIRED prior to issuance of a building permit.

Gas Fitters License Application

Plumbing License Application

Tree Contractor License Application

Vehicle Weight Limits

March 1 – May 1 - 4 TON per Axel


Please consult with Woodland City Clerk if you have questions.